Bertram’s library first opened in the early 1930’s, upstairs over Sullivan’s Store. It was later upstairs over McFarland’s Drugstore / Lewis Building, (now known as the Allied Underground Building). In the late 1940’s the library moved into an old store building at 140 N. Gabriel (now the Library Thrift Store).
The library was founded by a group of ladies from the Literary Club, who pooled together their own private home libraries to form a lending library. The library became a branch of the Burnet County Library System in 1948.
The Friends of the Bertram Free Library was organized on May 6, 1978. The Friends’ Thrift Shop opened in 1981, and proceeds from the shop fund new books, materials, Storytime, Summer Reading and many other library necessities.
Over the years, the generosity of many community supporters has made it possible for the Bertram library to continually expand and grow. The Friends currently own the building at 140 N. Gabriel, which now houses the Thrift Shop, and also own the library building, Joann Cole Mitte Memorial Library (Bertram Library) on the corner of
N. Gabriel and IH 29.
The Bertram library is a major community resource. The library offers traditional services as well as public computers, Wi-Fi, fax and copy services, e-services including eBooks and many other downloadable learning tools, AWE computers that have preloaded educational software for children, programming for both adults and children, and a community meeting room. Bertram is proud of its library, which has extensive and up-to-date collections. The library receives phenomenal support from the Friends, the City of Bertram, Burnet County and from its citizens.